Just the Way It Is
We are right smack dab in the middle of summer and I love it. I would rather sweat than shiver any day of the week. Summer is also the time for many great ropings all over the country. I do a lot of traveling and hope to see you soon at an event near you. This month I was cruising through Facebook and I came across a posting that my wife shared and it really struck me as something that carried a lot of truth. I decided to share it with you, but to add my own touch to it, so here goes.
Some things to THINK about!
1. Your shoes are the first thing people subconsciously notice about you. Wear nice shoes. (I don’t always wear nice shoes or boots, but I am going to start...Thanks Tony Lama.)
2. If you sit for more than 11 hours a day, there’s a 50% chance you will die within the next 3 years. (Fortunately I don’t sit that much, but I am certainly going to become more active.)
3. There are at least 6 people in the world who look exactly like you. There’s a 9% chance that you’ll meet one of them in your lifetime. (I have seen two guys who looked like me...That is CRAZY!)
4. Sleeping without a pillow reduces back pain and keeps your spine stronger.
5. A person’s height is determined by their father and their mother determines their weight.
6. If a part of your body “falls asleep,” you can almost always “wake it up” by shaking your head. (This actually does work for me.)
7. There are three things the human brain cannot resist noticing; food, attractive people and danger.
8. Right-handed people tend to chew food on their right side. (I must not be completely right-handed.)
9. Putting dry tea bags in gym bags or smelly shoes will absorb the unpleasant odor. (Well I don’t really have a gym bag and if I put tea bags in my sound bag the people at TSA might think I am trying to smuggle something.)
10. According to Albert Einstein, if honeybees were to disappear from earth, humans would be dead within 4 years. (I don’t want to find out.)
11. There are so many kinds of apples, that if you ate a new one everyday, it would take over 20 years to try them all. (Who knew and who figured out how long it would take to try them all?)
12. You can survive without eating for weeks, but you will only live 11 days without sleeping. (I really don’t want to test this one.)
13. People who laugh a lot are healthier than those who don’t. (I love to laugh.)
14. Laziness and inactivity kills just as many people as smoking. (So if you are a lazy smoker you are in terrible shape. Fortunately I am neither.)
15. A human brain has a capacity to store five times as much information as Wikipedia. (That is why there are so many know-it-alls in the world.)
16. Our brain uses the same amount of power as a 10-watt light bulb!
17. Our body gives enough heat in 30 minutes to boil 1.5 liters of water!! (My wife says I give off more heat than that.)
18. The Ovum egg is the largest cell and the sperm is the smallest cell! (Okay)
19. Stomach acid (conc. HCl) is strong enough to dissolve razor blades!! (But don’t eat one.)
20. Take a 10-30 minute walk every day and while you walk, SMILE. It is the ultimate antidepressant. (I am not sure if I smile when I walk, but I am going to try this.)
21. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day. (With a 3-year old daughter I do not do this.)
22. When you wake up in the morning, pray to ask God’s guidance for your purpose, today. (I pray, but I don’t pray enough so I am going to pray more.)
23. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants. (I will try, but I really like to eat food that feeds on plants, so I will probably just stick with that.)
24. Drink green tea and plenty of water. Eat blueberries, broccoli, and almonds. (I like green tea, water, blueberries, and almonds, but broccoli has never been my friend.)
25. Try to make at least three people smile each day. (I try to make everyone smile.)
26. Don’t waste your precious energy on gossip, energy vampires, issues of the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
27. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a college kid with a maxed out charge card. (I really like a good supper, but I am going to work on reversing my eating habits.)
28. Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good. (How true this is!)
29. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Forgive them for everything! (I try to do this and for the most part I do pretty well.)
30. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does. (I do take others and myself seriously.)
31. You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree. (This is hard for me to do.)
32. Make peace with your past so it won’t spoil the present. (I will try.)
33. Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about. (This is true, but I think it is human nature. Again I will try.)
34. No one is in charge of your happiness except you. (This I am fully aware of.)
35. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: ‘In five years, will this matter?’ (Very true. Most of the time the answer is NO.)
36. Help the needy, be generous! Be a ‘Giver’ not a ‘Taker’ (I really do try to do this and most of the time I think I am pretty successful.)
37. What other people think of you is none of your business. (Hmmmm! I really don’t like for others to think badly of me.)
38. Time heals everything. (For the most part.)
39. However good or bad a situation is, it will change. (Just like the weather...)
40. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch. (I love people and I love to have friends. I also love my job. Thanks to all of you who are part of my life.)
41. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need. (Okay!)
42. Each night before you go to bed, pray to God and be thankful for what you will accomplish, today! (I do. I am very thankful for all the blessings in my life.)
43. Remember you are too blessed to be stressed. (Yes I know, but sometimes I do stress out. I really need to work on this.)
We should all strive to be good people. No matter who you are and where you are in this adventure through life there is good and positive all around you. Sometimes it smacks us in the head and sometimes we have to search through the bushes for it, but it’s there. Have a great month and remember to pray and smile when you walk, the rest will take care of itself, and that is just the way it is....